Taking some practical precautions around the home can help keep you safe during the holidays. Here are our top tips for the season:
- Use non-flammable decorations both indoors and outdoors.
- Check holiday lights for damaged wires and plugs. Enjoy indoor lights only while someone is at home and shut them off before turning in for the night.
- Keep live Christmas trees in a water-filled stand and check the water level daily. Dried-out trees are extremely dangerous and should be discarded immediately.
- Never allow children to access or use matches, lighters or candles.
- Keep space heaters away from bedding, curtains, paper—anything flammable. Never leave a space heater unattended while in use.
- Busy with holiday cooking and baking? Kitchen fires are the leading cause of house fires. Keep a multi-purpose fire extinguisher within easy reach and know how to use it.
Complitments of Pillar To Post Home Inspectors!